Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Robert's Post #2

Well, look like I once again have the responsibility of updating the blog. This time, I will be writing from in the internet cafe, so I don't have as much time as last-- which is a shame because we have experienced SO much.

I'm unsure where to begin. Yesterday, we woke up early for a nice easy 60 minute recovery run, led by our two guides both named David. The Davids live in a training camp together with other boys who train VERY intense every single day. Both of them are in the process of getting scholarships, visa's, and other paperwork to attend Universities in the states. They are SO excited to come to our country. I decided this morning that they are the most incredible, honorable men I have ever met. The younger one took us to his small home today to show us where he lives while he's not in the camp. His brother built it for him with money from his parents, and they surprised him with the small house as a graduation gift after high school! Quite a gift! He lives there by himself.

Anyway...we went out for the "easy recovery" and eventually found ourselves being throttled by the two young Kenyans, cruising at about 6:15/mi. ...Not what I think of when I think recovery, but for them this was effortless. Again, everywhere we went, the children would run along with us, so amazed at our skin. It's like we're aliens from outer space. None of them have ever seen a "Muzunga" in their lives.

Later, we went on a hike, and were absolutely amazed to find the most beautiful, ginormous waterfall! Luke, David, Adam, and I were daring enough to go down near the river. Luke ended up sliding most of the way down in the mud, and his nice gray pants are now nice brown pants.

Last night, the kids celebrated the new year by each saying what they are thankful for. They blow my mind. Eventually I will be able to write an update just about them! Every night, they sing and dance, and pray, and read...and...it's just awesome. They are so cool.

This morning, some guys did another easy run, and David, Coach, and I did a workout. Of course, the kids lined the road to watch us run, screaming "MUZUNGA! GO! YEAH!" As I was finishing my workout and cooling down on my last "off" interval, I held hands with two small children and ran to the end of the road. They smiled the biggest smiles I've seen in my life, and it got me all choked up. I was able to hold back tears until coach opened his mouth. He said, "Scrivner, do you remember last year at almost exactly this time, you came to that indoor meet at Mines and met the team? You weren't sure if you would be able to go to school? Now look at you. Here in Kenya." ...Opened up the floodgates. Ha! I can't even believe the blessings I've experienced this year. The Lord has been so good to me, and so many people have helped me along the way.

Only a few hours ago, we got to experience one of the coolest parts of the trip...and of course, our cameras were broken! The tribe we are staying with has a tradition of sending the males into "The Bush" (forest) for a month, where they are isolated, and learn many skills. They learn about respect, and how to be a real man. It is the "coming of age" tradition- and after they complete it, they are real men. They can work, own property...do anything but be married. They can only marry when they are stable and ready to settle down. The biggest moment of this process is (horrifyingly)...circumcision. Yes, 14 year old boys- circumcision. So, they have this big ceremony to celebrate- that happens tomorrow. But today, we went to a ceremony to celebrate them coming out of the bush, and reuniting with the families. They were wearing these big coverings, so we could only see their eyes. Hundreds of people danced, and did traditional...stuff around the young men. It was...wild.






I'm running out of time...and this is pretty long winded. But, wow. What a crazy few days. Enjoy, and as always-- HARAMBEE.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings Muzunga!
    Thank you for the detailed and heartfelt blogs of your journey. Although this is the first comment, your blogs are not going out into the void but are being read by many stateside. They are helping us to experience the beauty of the people and the country along with you. Keep those posts coming!
    Praying for you all,
    Deb Marino

    ReplyDelete
  2. That WAS NOT long winded at all! We really enjoyed reading about your adventures and all the Lord has brought you through. That was really an honor to be able to witness that special ceremony! Blessings, David and Laurel Cheromei

    ReplyDelete